Mercury is retrograde this month from the 6th to the 26th. Here are some quick facts about a Mercury Retrograde:
- The planet Mercury is named after the mythical god Mercury. He is usually depicted with a winged hat and shoes, symbolizing his status as messenger of the gods. In astrology, then, Mercury in a natal chart indicates one’s communication style and perceptions of the world.
- Mercury goes retrograde four times per year. Retrograde motion appears backwards to us from our position on Earth. A planet does not actually travel backwards in its orbit; it simply appears that way to us from our vantage point. (Think of it this way–if you zoom past a slower car on the road, it can seem as if the slower car is going backwards in comparison to you.)
- Retrograde Mercury symbolizes delayed or difficult communication, interrupted travel, and opportunities for reflection.
- For people born during a Mercury Retrograde, astrologers offer several possible interpretations, including communication issues (such as stuttering or shyness). On a spiritual level, though, a person born during a Mercury Retrograde is often said to be working through old karmic issues of other lifetimes.
- In general, a Mercury Retrograde is a time for internal reflection and review. Some astrologers would warn against signing contracts or making travel plans; in my opinion, however, it is simply a time to do our due diligence and make decisions thoughtfully, not hastily.