For centuries, we lived according to the seasons and the rhythms of nature. We observed Mother Nature and established our patterns accordingly. Along the way, we discovered that the Moon, ruler of water and fertility, had certain effects upon the fruits of the land. And so Lunar Gardening became the way.
Here are a few principles to follow if you want to plant according to the Moon:
- During the period from New Moon to Full Moon, plant annuals that produce above the ground. During the period from Full Moon to New Moon, plant biennials, perennials, bulbs, and root plants.
- In general, planting when the Moon is in Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces (the water signs) is best.
- For root crops, try planting when the moon is in one of the Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn).
- When the Moon is in Libra, plant flowers.
- Use the times when the Moon is in Gemini, Aquarius, or a Fire (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) to do your weeding, plowing, or tilling.