I am very lucky in my job. I work in a health food store, and so I have access to lots of good food and healthy products. Below are a few of my current faves:
- I don’t have Celiac, and I don’t need to avoid gluten. But I happened to try one of these Katz Chocolate Rugelech the other day and, holey moley, was it yummy. It’s likely that you know someone who does have gluten issues, so be a pal and get some of this for you both to share: http://www.katzglutenfree.com/Chocolate_Rugelech_Gluten_Free_p/1064.htm.
- Nubian Heritage body care products are just lovely. No other word for them. They make soaps, lotions, body washes, etc. They don’t have a true website yet (it’s just a home page that says ‘sorry our website it up-n-running yet), but don’t let that deter you. I recommend the Coconut & Papaya Lotion. It smells so good you want to eat it. But don’t.
- You should, however, eat this: http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.php/peanut-butter-1/darkchocolatedreams.html
- After you eat the rugelech and the chocolate peanut butter, you should probably brush your teeth. Try this Neem & Pomegranate toothpaste from Himalaya Herbals: http://www.himalayausa.com/Botanique/dentalcare/dental-care-pp.htm
- Healthcare practitioners are now realizing that 70% of our immune system is dependent on gut health. To keep your GI tract healthy, add some good bacteria (probiotics) to your diet. Fermented foods, like yogurt, are great for this. But if you aren’t a yogurt fan, try some probiotic supplements like these: http://www.newchapter.com/probiotics. Or these: http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/RAW-Digestion/RAW-Probiotics-Ultimate-Care.aspx.
- Andalou Naturals makes brilliant body care products, and I am particularly fond of their face care collection for mature or dry skin. If you are like me, and your skin makes the Sahara look swampy, you will appreciate their cleanser, toner, and creams. This is the set I use and love: http://andalou.com/index.php/skin-care/age-defying.html.
As always, please remember that I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. What works for me may not work for you. Consult your healthcare practitioner and listen to your body!