This weekend, Mercury goes retrograde. In astronomy terms, retrograde means that the planet’s orbit appears to us here on Earth to move backwards. In astrology terms, a retrograde period symbolizes a time to review and reflect.
Mercury is in Leo for this retrograde period, which will last until August 8th. So what do Mercury and Leo mean? What should we be re-evaluating in these next few weeks?
Mercury represents our communication style, the way we look at the world. It is an intellectual and dynamic energy. If you recall your classical mythology, Mercury was the messenger to the gods. Think words, quick-wittedness, learning, and such.
Leo, a fire sign, is the king of the zodiac wheel. It represents the heart, ambitions, and authority. Leo can also be quite childish and demanding of attention. Think of it this way: when Leo has its act together, it is the regal and dignified King of the Jungle; a Leo who succumbs to his own self-centeredness ends up just being a show-off who can never have enough attention.
Putting those symbols together, then, we can come up with our astrological homework for the next few weeks:
- Am I communicating clearly, creatively, and from the heart, especially in areas where I am the leader?
- Am I expressing warmth and generosity?
- Do I love the sound of my own voice so much and I really want you to hear it too? Or am I confident enough to allow you to speak as well?
- Am I being joyful and child-like, or just being childish?
- In situations where I am the leader, am I paying attention to details, conducting myself with dignity, and following my heart? Or am I simply in it for my own gain?
Some astrologers caution that we should never sign contracts or travel or make important decisions during a Mercury Retrograde. I usually don’t go so far as that. For one thing, I’ve learned “never say never.” For another, life still keeps rolling along no matter what, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. So I would just say to keep these symbols in mind and be thoughtful in your decision making. Listen to your heart and choose wisely.